Is there really a healthy, chocolate toothpaste recipe? Why yes… yes there is!
To read this article later, click “Save” on the picture to save to Pinterest.
My husband and I have been using this DIY chocolate toothpaste recipe for a while now, and we really like it. We have traveled a couple of times and just taken a travel size traditional toothpaste with us. We truly miss this toothpaste and are happy to return to it. I think I need to figure out how to pack a travel size! My kids don’t love it, but maybe they would like it better if I added the xylitol. But I prefer not to use it.
This chocolate toothpaste recipe has lots of benefits. It helps with fresh breath due to CloSys, peppermint, and/or rosemary essential oils. The charcoal helps whiten your teeth. Bentonite clay is a detoxing and remineralization agent. Cacao is effective at fighting tooth decay, plaque and cavities! Baking soda is a mild abrasive that helps remove and keep plaque away. Finally probiotics are great for your body and your teeth by drawing out bad bacteria and adding good bacteria back in. And it’s all natural so you and your kids aren’t ingesting toxins or chemicals.
Here’s a Video Showing How to Make Chocolate Toothpaste
My Healthy Chocolate Toothpaste Recipe
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- small jar with lid
- 2–3 tablespoons of organic cacao powder
- 1 activated charcoal capsule, opened
- 2-4 tablespoons baking soda
- 1 capsule of organic probiotics, opened
- up to 1/2 tablespoon xylitol powder (optional-helps with the saltiness)
- 1-2 ounces CloSys (optional)
- 1–2 tablespoons bentonite clay
- up to 10 drops of peppermint essential oil or other essential oil like rosemary
- 1-2 ounces Aloe Vera
- Place coconut oil in the jar that you will use to store your toothpaste in. Place jar with oil in a bowl of hot water to liquify it if it is not liquid already. (Depending on your room temperature, this may take a few minutes).
- While coconut oil is melting, place all dry ingredients into a small bowl.
- Open capsules by grabbing the ends with the tips of your fingers while holding them over the bowl and gently pulling and twisting. Once open, put the powder into the bowl.
- Stir until mixed well.
- Once coconut oil is melted, add the wet ingredients.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in jar. Shake vigorously until well blended. It will be a bit runny, but it will set up as it cools.
- Store at room temperature in sealed glass jar. I use popsicle sticks to get the toothpaste out of the jar.
Related: Charcoal Uses and Benefits
I hope you enjoy this chocolate toothpaste recipe! Please comment below how you would change this recipe up or what healthy ingredients you like to add to your chocolate toothpaste. And remember to tell share on Pinterest or tell a friend.