It’s possible to help prevent a cold naturally!
To read this article later, click “Save” on the picture to save to Pinterest.
This past winter, I almost caught four colds. You know, your throat starts getting scratchy and you just don’t feel right. Due to a healthy lifestyle and a few simple preventions, I was able to prevent a cold naturally – not just once, but all 4 times! Do you want to know what I did? Of course you do!
8 Top Ways to Help Prevent a Cold Naturally
- I took my homemade elderberry syrup everyday during the fall and winter to build immunity. It tastes great, and the kids even love it! See my elderberry recipe here.
- I took Vitamin C every day. Normally I would take one tablet, but if I started feeling like I was getting a cold, I would take two – one in the morning and one in the evening.
- I stayed away from sugar, bread, and dairy (which I normally do anyway).
- Of course I washed my hands well and had my family do the same. Be sure to wash well before entering the kitchen and touching food, after using the restroom, and after leaving the house for any reason. There are so many cold and flu germs, so be sure to scrub them off as soon as you get home.
- I used my homemade hand sanitizer when I was out. This kills germs like store bought hand sanitizer, but it’s actually healthy for you!
- My family and I used On Guard essential oil on the bottoms of our feet daily. I blended 6-8 drops of this oil with jojoba oil in a 10mL bottle. Then we would rub this blend onto the bottoms of our feet every morning, then put socks on over it. (Your feet don’t have sebaceous glands in them so the oils have better penetration into your skin.)
- If I started feeling like I was getting sick, I would also take Bentonite clay. Put a tablespoon in a little mason jar, mix with 2 ounces of water, and drink within two minutes of mixing.
- Finally, and this is my least favorite, yet MOST HELPFUL one… Put 3 drops of hydrogen peroxide in each ear for three minutes. Do this as soon as you feel like you may be coming down with something 2-3 times a day. It works great when used with the above tricks. One of my daughters kicks and screams when I try to do this for her, and she suffers with more colds because she truly won’t let me do it anymore. The other 3 of us use the peroxide and have had a much better success rate!
If you do end up getting sick or are still on the verge, this recipe for Healthy Popsicles is nice and soothing with other healing properties. Give it a try!
Try these things for yourself and your family this cold and flu season, and leave a comment below to let me know if it worked. Also please add your favorite hacks to help prevent a cold, and don’t forget to share with all your friends so we can all stay healthy!